Monday, August 1, 2011

Ramadan Kareem

It’s the first day of the holy month of Ramadan, which means that there is a shift in how we function here in the Middle East. Working hours are reduced, eating restrictions are applied and commuting gets harder.
It’s also the first of August, which means that J and I are embarking on our ‘31 posts in August’ mission.  So good luck J! I know I’m going to win. I have everything planned. J
The first also holds another significance in my house. Every year on this day we all have a bite of a piece of coconut topped with jaggery.  I don’t know the origins and how this ritual started but apparently the month of August saw many illnesses and eating coconut and jiggery was like a good luck thing you did to ward off evil. Today, for the first time, I forgot! I reached work and then I realised. Now I’m wondering if I eat it later in the day, does the magic still work?
Every Ramadan there is a set of questions that plague me:
What will my work timings be? The nature of my work doesn’t allow for fixed timings but that doesn’t stop me from getting excited knowing that I’m only going to work for six hours ( even if it’s just on paper).
Eid! I need to plan my holidays accordingly. We usually have a 5-day break (government offices get a week long) but the moon usually plays truant and cuts it to three! So Eid ka chaand kab nikhelega becomes the all important question.
Will I get a taxi? Ramadan means fighting for taxis. Because of suhoor (the meal eaten before fajr, or dawn) almost all offices start at 9, which translates into more people and fewer taxis. Calling the taxi company seems like my only hope. Taking the bus would also be an option but I don’t really fancy walking the 5 minutes in this killing heat!
Why do I feel like drinking and eating on the road only during Ramadan? Believe me, since eating, drinking or even chewing gum in public is strictly prohibited during fasting hours, I feel the constant urge to do just that. Reverse psychology I tell you!
Where and what will I eat? Restaurants are shut in the morning and the few that operate only offer take away with limited options. The restaurants serving food are obligated to cover themselves so as not to offend the fasting faithful.  And in office, ever since the kitchen was converted into the accountant’s room (all the more reason to hate them) we have no place to eat. Eating on our desks would just be bad manners. We are still working on that … it’s just the first day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh damn! That is hard. Please take care of yourself. That's exactly why I'd never be able to work in the gulf. :(

    And good luck with ABC! Lovin' all your posts.

    ReplyDelete