Thursday, January 19, 2012

Of Greetings and Hugs

It's been too long. I got busy and I got lazy; a trip back home, sister's wedding celebrations, the death of an uncle and then some much needed R&R only to get back to piled up work in the office. So, it's been hectic but one that was absolutely worth it!

Over the weeks I have been wishing and greetings so many people, and I still haven't got the routine pat. Do I kiss and greet or just wave and nod and say hello? If I'm greeting them with a kiss, do I begin left to left or right to right? Given that I live in the Middle East, where there is the added third kiss, it all gets more confusing? The worst, when you lean in for the kiss and the other person stands frozen doesn't! Awkwardly embarrassing, I know.

Sometimes, people lean in for a hug. Now, I'm not a huge 'hug me' person; I've never been. However, in the last few years the number of times I've been hugged on a daily basis, makes up for all the years of my existence. Still, I have not grasped the basics of a hug; I just fake hug, always. A half, barely there, limp, something is all I can manage, irrespective of the gender or fondness of the person. Even side shoulder 'hugs' are awkwardly given and received. Sometimes, knowing a person's fondness for hugs, I throw my hands up in a grand gesture of enveloping them in a bear hug, only to have them kiss me on the cheek, thrice! Now locked up in a semi-hug and moving your head can be quite the thing!

This New Year, I'm still working around the whole hug and kiss and greet routine. For now, the only strategy I've come up with is a handshake with the arms stretched, thereby creating and extending this invisible 'do not cross'space, though, I must say, that has not been that effective. A few determined and enthusiastic individuals have broken through and enveloped me in a bear hug I never saw coming! Sigh!

*hugs* to my dearest friends and the three who loyally read my writings!

4 comments:

  1. Nice piece. I recall how sometimes I move to the left while the other person also chooses to move to the left and suddenly someone you barely know is so close to a smooch (sometimes with her spouse standing close - Yipes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K. I do remember telling you about being hugged often, didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed ... haven't forgotten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came by to send you a virtual hug... and to say thanks for all the mad IM conversations we've been having.

    PS: Arnav says he loves you. :P

    ReplyDelete