A couple of months ago, at a colleague’s birthday party, I heard a mom tell her three-year-old daughter not to eat the cake. Reason, “You will become fat if you eat cake”. I was shocked when the daughter said, “I don’t want to be fat; I want to be thin like you.” Sharing this news with a friend, and wondering over the change of phraseology from “Your teeth will rot and fall out” or “You will get worms” to “You will get fat”, she provided me with another expression she heard, “You’ll get diabetes!” Wow! Times have truly changed.
I know that today’s kids are smarter, growing out of their childhood faster than we would like. Honestly speaking, how long does this period of being children last these days? I also know that they are more aware, learning things faster than we would ever dream of.
Last week, a colleague’s 10-year-old daughter reprimanded me for drinking a particular brand of water. She said, “Don’t drink this, it has too much sodium.” (Here in the Middle East, all bottled water packages indicate the level of minerals present. Different brands offer different sodium concentration, and as we all know the lesser the sodium the better.)
I guess I will never adjust to how intelligent or conscious children these days are. A couple more years or by the time I have kids, I wonder, will infancy be the only stage of blissful ignorance and innocence?
No comments:
Post a Comment