Is it just me or do you agree that time has got a new set of wheels? How else can you explain the whizzing speed of days and years? One minute you are in April and the next getting ready for the New Year! I always feel like I just finished buying my Christmas gifts for family and friends (which can be so exhausting) and don’t have the energy to go through another round of them just yet.
Time is relative said Einstein but I don’t think that’s applicable these days. Time just seems to fly whether or not you are having fun. Try as much to slow down your hectic schedule and you still find yourself huffing to catch up with days. I feel like I’ve lost so many days without knowing how and when they dropped off the grid. I will admit that there are a few days where time seems to drag but overall it seems like the axis of the earth has shifted into some kind of super speed.
A procrastinator like me always pushes tasks for the next week, month, couple of months, year and before you know it, it time for me to come good on promises to myself. I’m always struggling to catch up with my lazier self, it’s like I can never catch a break. Events around the world celebrate their anniversaries and I find myself wondering if it has actually been those many years. In a way, there is no more place for anything old, it is always and always immediately replaced by the new. Everywhere it is one revolution replacing the other in more ways than one.
Sometimes, I feel that modern living is all about speed. We measure our lives in nanoseconds and get impatient by every kind of delay. A 20-second delay in page loading gets us aggravated (come to think of it, I don’t think we can stand a 3-second delay) or the 1 minute it takes us to get food heated in the microwave makes us impatient. Is this the reason why we seem to have lost track to time. Once a upon a time now really seems like a time phase really gone.
Writing about this, got me remembering this episode on Seinfeld. Have you seen ‘The Friars Club’ episode where Kramer is trying to copy Leonardo Da Vinci's sleep patterns to experience more life?
KRAMER: Listen, uh, do me a favour, will you? I got a hot date tonight with Connie. Knock on my door, wake me up in twenty minutes, alright?
JERRY: Catnap?
KRAMER: No, no, no, no. This is evolutionary. I’ve been reading this book, on Leonardo de Vinci. See, that means 'from Vinci', did you know that?
JERRY: That must be some book.
KRAMER: Yeah, well, turns out that the master slept only twenty minutes every three hours. Now, that works out to two- and-a-half extra days, that I'm awake per week, every week. Which means, if I live to be eighty, I will have lived the equivalent of a hundred and five years.
JERRY: Just imagine how much more you'll accomplish.
I so agree! It seems like I got married and left for the US just yesterday - wait, that was close to two years ago - between then and now, I have a baby who's nine months old (again, seems like just yesterday I held my bundle of joy in my arms for the first time after holding her up in a tummy that was gravity's best friend towards the end of my pregnancy)...
ReplyDeleteBut well, like I was telling the husband the other day...I met so-and-so about two years ago...no wait...that was when we got married. So I met her the year before that. Which means...I met YOU three years ago (atleast!!), Lola! Time flies, and that's our 'once upon a time' :)