Sunday, November 13, 2011

A day at the races

It’s a treat for all the senses, except of course the ears. My first time at the F1 races was heady, fun and absolutely thrilling. This year, I made it a point to take the free ticket, even if it was not for race day. After all, a qualifying session is good enough, especially when it’s free!
Most of the people watching the sessions were tourists, real aficionados of the game. They came in all ready with flags, binoculars and the all essential ear plugs. You really need the ear plugs; my ears are still reeling from the sound. I thought the sound of gunfire in a shooting range was deafening; this gave all new meaning to deafening. When the first roar of the cars was heard, I was not at all ready for the decibel that greeted my poor ears! Then I got used to it. I was also ready to only ‘see’ cars as a blur and endure whiplash as a result of all the neck strain but I could see the cars quite easily. Getting them on camera, well that’s another story, though I did manage to get a shot or two. Every time was aim and miss; by the time my camera clicked it, the car had zoomed away! It was fun to see the cars swerve and whiz past; it was more fun to recognize a few teams. I knew the drivers for some of the teams but in the cars I didn’t know who was where. The commentary was on but it was drowned by the sounds of the roaring cars. I was doubly excited to see the Force India, something about the saffron, green and white got me thrilled.
My seat on the stands game me an excellent view of the circuit, marina and all. I was disappointed that Webber didn’t take pole but glad his teammate did. Unlike the gentleman near me who showed his disgust at Vettel taking pole by repeatedly hitting the railing and swearing!







No comments:

Post a Comment