Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Reading and Writing

I’ve always been a reader. My friends identify me as a reader. I have tons of books—I’m proud of my collection and every time I buy a new one, I’m pleased with myself. The only problem is, I haven’t read any book for a long, long time. 2013 saw me read three books. Three books! Not only is this appalling, it is downright shameful not to mention worrying. I’m now worried whether I have lost the knack of reading. Is that even possible? Can a person’s reading skills get rusted?

This is not something I can afford. I am a reader dammit! (J, this is a nod to you-know-who).

And I know what’s to be blamed for this abysmal performance in the reading department — TV series. There’s too many of them! Keeping a tab on Hindi and English shows can be quite the task. I have a Post-it on my wall to help me keep tab of what serial runs when. I kid you not!

Having decided to be a better reader, I am already one book down. Actually three, if you consider historical romances as reading. (I read those too, so what?) And I’ve moved onto my next reads as well—Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. So far, so good.

Plus, I have my writing to get back to. I have been negligent of that as well.


So, Gods of Reading and Writing, inspire me and give me the strength to stay committed. (But Banshee has just started, and Hannibal and Game of Thrones will begin in April. Sigh! I am doomed.)

2 comments:

  1. You read two books at a time??? What the hell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually more than that. I get distracted easily. Or I'm just greedy.

    ReplyDelete