She sat in her
favourite corner, knees bent, coffee within reach, notepad and pencil ready,
with serenity on her face.
“Today, I set you
free. And in doing so, I set myself free.
I am clear now in my
head of where I am and where I want to be. I certainly do not want to be tied
to you and definitely do not want you to feel obliged to me.
Today, I put to rest
all the fallacies I believed in, the made-up life in my head, the slights and
faults that were mine, the concern and understanding that were yours.
I chose you to love,
but you weren’t in that relation; you knew where you stood. I was the one who
chose to hope.
Today, I have clarity.
Today, when my mind is open and free of illusions, let me do the needful and
cast aside all the wishful thinking I have been indulging in.
This is what it is,
and whatever ‘this’ is, is all that will ever be. You never claimed to offer
more, you will do nothing to change it and I would certainly not allow anything
to happen. Cowards never thrive.
I have taken off the
rainbow glasses that magnified everything you did and have begun to view them
practically, untainted, without prejudice. And then they seem harmless, ordinary,
very everyday.
So, why dwell in misery
and wonder about all the has beens that could have been and all the maybes that
never will be.
You are precious, but you
are not the reason I live. And now that I know where to fit you in, I carry no
burden.
I set you free.
I set myself free.”
No comments:
Post a Comment