We talk about so much
and so little at the same time, we skirt around issues I consider revealing,
you consider honest. Yet you know so much about me, more than I wanted you to
and certainly more that I’d like you to. You see me the way I never wanted
anyone to see me. You see my vulnerability and my passion, my reasons and my
defiance. You know what makes me tick, what gets me riled. When I am up or
down, you know it all; you can sense it, better than before. I let the defenses
down; it was a momentary loss of fidelity and you walked right through. You
impressed me by avoiding and overtaking all the obstacles and stop signs I put
up. You disarmed all the alarms and evaded the booby traps. Now you know me.
And I don’t like it
one bit; it’s the reason why I can’t look you in the eye anymore. Why I can’t
continue this. It’s too close for comfort; you’re too close for comfort. I need
that distance, that place within me, where I can be me, without worrying that
someone else knows me, knows where and how to find me. But now that’s gone.
There are no more pretences that you won’t recognise, no more walls that you
won’t get around. It’s disconcerting, you seeing me for what I am. I can see it
in your eyes. The eyes that give me the benefit of the doubt, where you once
would doubt, accuse and suspect. The eyes that push me to do things you know I
want to but will never unless it’s you telling me. It’s there in the hands that
hold me the same way as before, but differently still. They linger a second
longer than usual and I know why; I can sense it. You want to reassure me, I
know, but that’s what’s causing my anxiety. It’s there in the smile, when you
see me for the first time in the day. It’s telling, even when you don’t want it
to. It’s full of anticipation, hinting at what you’d push me to do today, what
you’ll get me to reveal even when I don’t want to. Along with the eyes, they
speak untold things that you want from me; they encourage—and I try hard to
ignore. It’s there in the kisses, the one thing I thought would remain
untainted, but it’s corrupted as well, infected by the hope they now communicate,
and I don’t want that.
There’s always been
tenderness but this empathy is killing me, slowly.
Like the awkwardness
of a morning after, this felling of walls, is hard to get around. I know you
know me and that you know that I am aware of this knowledge that you now hold,
and I’m trying my hardest to ignore. I’m trying to pretend like it doesn’t
exist, it never happened, it doesn’t matter. I’m trying hard to blank it, to
play it cool, but now I can no longer do it, there are no more pretences left, no
more safe place to go. Remember? You’ve invaded them all. You know me. You see
me. You get me.
So you see why I have
to stop, why I can’t let this go on. You see me for what I am. I can see the
way you see me now, and I don’t like it.
“I
can see the way you see me now, and I don’t like it.” I read this line in an article on Elle and
thought to weave a perspective around this idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment