I never miss the rains. The rains meant power cuts, mud and
grime that coated your shoes and lined your toenails, wet soggy clothes that
clung to you making you shiver and feel icky, splashes and splotches of brown, wet mud that looked like someone spray
painted your trousers, and not to forget the umbrellas and raincoats to trudge.
In a city like Bombay, especially if commuting by train, carrying anything
extra meant added need for dexterity. Your umbrella has to be ready to open in
a flash yet it should not come in anybody’s way, you cannot afford to poke
anyone, and God forbid if your wet umbrella or raincoat touches anyone else,
who may just be a tad dryer than you!
When I moved to the Middle East, I knew I said goodbye to
the rains; and I was happy about it. The occasional rain showers meant nothing,
although I still grumbled about having to carry an umbrella. However, in the last
couple of years, I’ve started to miss the rain.
What do I miss? The smell of the water hitting a parched,
baked earth —why haven’t they bottled that scent as yet, I wonder; the draft
that hits you when you open the door in a thunder shower and you leap back from
the spray and the chill and hurriedly usher in whoever is at the door. I miss
searching for candles and then waiting in the semi-darkness, talking, laughing,
singing and making noise—noise that seems to amplify in the stillness brought
on by the power outage. I remember the afternoons, when we children were kept
on dark, threatening to rain cloud watch—if we got it wrong, it was a mad dash
to get the clothes off the line before they were soaked completely; facing mom’s
thunderous glower afterwards was something we never looked forward to.
I miss sitting by the window ledge watching the bolts of
lightning crash somewhere in the sky, listening to the sound of thunder, the
droplets of water hitting the protective shades over the windows and the leaves
rustling, the chatter of people as they huddle under the giant tamarind tree
that once stood as a sentinel in our building compound, protecting the building
and all those who sought shelter from the rain. I even miss trudging through dirty,
muddy water and the rush to the bathroom to clean off the slime and treat the
feet to a Dettol wash to ward of any possible infection. My walk home would
include walking through pucca roads between paddy fields and avoiding
the water snakes, crabs and fish that swam past. Sometimes, I miss the spraying of water from
oncoming vehicles, some deliberate, some unavoidable and the evasive actions we
took, the turning of umbrellas when the wind was too strong, the sometimes
having to sit with umbrellas open in the train when the windows or doors would
be jammed. Yet, I know, above all these things, what I miss most is me
grumbling about the rains.
No comments:
Post a Comment