A simple question posed in the office had most stymied for an answer. I faltered and recovered quickly, gave the answer but lost credibility as the one-source of information. The question? What does South Asian countries mean? I started with Southeast Asian countries and then realized that I was mixing up the two so corrected myself and said India, Sri Lanka, etc. Once upon a time, I used to be quick at these, before technology took over, before I began relying on Google, and then on Wikipedia to answer all my questions.
Now when I sit down with a pen to solve my crosswords, I’m struggling for answers that I subconsciously know but can’t remember, and answers to clues that a few years ago you could wake me up from my sleep and get the right answer. Then: What’s the capital of Bulgaria? Sofia. Now: What’s the capital of Slovak Republic? I don’t know meets just blank.
I could - what's that word? - relate to what you're saying. My own GK has taken a beating... I rely on Twitter for news headlines. Don't even bother opening the newspapers. And to think I used to participate and win GK quizzes in school when we had no internet or cable TV.
ReplyDeleteSuper sigh!
True. GK was something I excelled in as well. Now... bleh! There was once a time, when I was asked to read the papers last, since I read all the words that were printed ads, classifieds included!
ReplyDelete